Digital Asset Optimization
What makes Digital Asset Optimization (DAO) important?
Say for example that you have a how-to tutorial video that you made for your customers floating around the web. It has no description, has a random vid0001.avi filename and is not even promoted in your social media sites. So far, the people who have already seen your video love it, aka your family and friends, but it hasn’t really reached your target audience yet and you’re sitting there, scratching your head, wondering why.
This video is a perfect example of a digital asset that is losing its value simply because it hasn’t been optimized. You might have intended this video to be just a tutorial but we see it as a potential marketing tool that can attract future customers and jolt the current ones. Not only will it gain exposure for your business, it will also contribute to building up your brand message across search engine results.
- Research, research, research – You have all the tools available online to do your research regarding keywords, target words and phrases, how your target audience thinks, and how the various search engines work. Once you’ve done your homework, you can now optimize your content by changing its filename to a description of its content, while using the appropriate keywords, that is. For the above example, vid0001.avi can instead be renamed to “your-business-name-of-product-tutorial.avi.” You can also use the results of your research when completing a content’s metadata, caption (when possible), title, URL and tags.
- Don’t be lazy on descriptions – People want to be informed of the products and services that you’re offering them. They don’t want to waste their time watching a three minute tutorial video that they know nothing about when they can use that time instead to watch cute kittens doing cute kitten stuff on YouTube. More importantly, when your target audience is performing a search on something that is relevant to the product or service that you are offering, your content would most likely come up on the search engine results, given that you have done your research and you’ve described your content using the appropriate keywords.
- Don’t forget your social media – Your Facebook fan page, Facebook status updates, tweets, and LinkedIn profile are all indexed so you should always use your target keywords whenever using any of these lines of communication.
- Keep in mind PDFs and DOC files – Optimize your PDF and DOC content as you would a web page. Always fill out all the document’s properties such as author, subject, description, and keywords using appropriate target terms.
Key Performance Indicators
- Improvement in search engine visibility – not necessarily of your web page but of your digital assets as well.
- Related businesses start referencing your digital assets and using them as tools to help their own business.
- Your target audience starts engaging on conversations regarding your digital assets on social media platforms (comments, shares and likes on Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- Increase in traffic volume to your website due to link referrals coming from your digital assets spread all over different channels of distribution (social media, e-mail, blogs, forums, etc.).
It is important to remember that like SMM (Social Media Marketing), the goal of DAO is not to directly boost your business’s profits but rather to gain dominance of the Search Engine Results Page (SERP) and maximize the exposure of your brand to current and future customers. Practicing DAO is also a powerful tool to increase visibility across platforms where your target audience is most active – social media sites. Optimizing your digital assets and dropping them on an interface such as Facebook where people engage in conversation and sharing all the time will remind them of the products and services that you offer once they are ready to buy.
Practicing Digital Asset Optimization seems easy but there are also a lot of things to account for when you are running a serious business. However, the advantages of DAO are far and wide once you’re already past the implementation stage. Don’t let your digital assets just sit and rot in a computer folder. Let one of our professionals review your digital assets as part of our comprehensive SMO (Social Media Optimization) service and get you the advice you need on improving your brand identity online.